My final CPD tip for the week is perhaps the most exciting, powerful and challenging to pitch to your Headteacher, line manager or CPD co-ordinator. The SharePoint Conference 2009 is taking place this year in Las Vegas from October 19-22. It promises to be the most useful piece of CPD you will attend in the next school year for one key reason- it is the launch point for SharePoint 2010. If your school has come a long way with SharePoint 2007 and wants to unlock the potential of SharePoint 2010 next summer ready for a September 2010 upgrade in your school then this conference will act as a fast-track.
The cost is a real challenge and even the most frugal person going to Las Vegas from (Saturday- Thursday because of the need for a Saturday stay over for reasonable flight prices) would struggle to keep the flight, hotel, conference and food bill down to £2000. £2500-£3000 is more realistic. So how might you go about convincing your Headteacher that this is a must attend event? As with all schools now you must have a rigorous rationale for getting out of school whether a member of teaching or support staff but here are some tips before you make a request:
- Be clear on what the value of the trip would be to the school first- what would the outcomes be in 3 and 6 months as well as over 1-3 years?
- Also focus on your own professional development- if you are the SharePoint Admin or co-ordinator this will be a fantastic opportunity to develop your skills with the new version.
- Reference any request with relevance to your School Development Plan- this is the key document which drives the school’s use of resources. Is the development of Online Learning on there?
- Link this conference with your capacity to deliver on key government agendas which are hot topics- primarily Online Reporting to Parents, Parental Engagement, vocational or diploma based learning and e-security.
- When you have made some notes on points 1-4 write a proposal explaining the merits of attending this conference send it to your Headteacher or line manager with a request to discuss it in a few days.
If you have any further questions please contact me below: